APPLYING TO HIGHAMS PARK 6TH FORM
SEPTEMBER 2023 ENTRY
APPLICATION FORM – INTERNAL & EXTERNAL STUDENTS
- Application form available from Monday 23rd January 2023 until deadline 24th February 2023
- Electronic application form available on school website
- External students need to provide a reference and confirmation of predicted grades before the application is considered further.
APPLYING TO HPS 6th FORM
Before applying online
- Look at the subject entry requirements. Students will not be admitted onto courses they do not meet the entry requirements for.
- Review our 6th Form prospectus for details on subject content.
What qualifications do we offer?
- We offer Level 3 courses (AS, A Levels, vocational and BTEC Nationals).
- We also offer resit GCSE English Language and Maths, for those not obtaining a grade 4.
- Other Level 2 programmes on our Bridging course are available for selected students.
- Students can opt to carry out an Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) - equivalent to an AS Level course that involves a university style research project. This is subject to staff availability.
How many A-Level subjects should you take?
- You only need to study three A Levels or BTEC Nationals equivalent to three A Levels.
- You may study four A Levels, especially with Further Maths.
- If you are unsure which subjects to study and wish to pick four and drop one throughout / end of Year 12 this is feasible following a discussion with Head of 6th Form.
Studying vocational / BTEC courses
- Nearly 25% of students at university achieved their place by studying vocational courses such as BTEC Nationals.
- BTEC Nationals are equivalent to A Levels and are awarded as Pass; Merit; Distinction, Distinction*
- Students will receive a one-to-one guidance meeting in the second half of the Spring term, to discuss their choices. An invitation will be sent to the email provided on their application form.
- Following the one-to-one meeting, we provide a conditional offer letter based on you achieving the entry criteria to study your aspirational subject choices.
Predicted GCSE grades will be used in reaching a decision about whether to make you a conditional offer of the course/subjects you have chosen. Note - your predicted grades are usually guided by your mock examinations and work throughout KS4.
GCSE Results days
- Students will collect their GCSE results and then attend a one-to-one meeting with a member of HPS staff. This will be to confirm their enrolment into the 6th Form.
- You can change your mind on subject selection at enrolment – as long as there is space on courses, and you meet the entry criteria. We would rather you studied courses that interest you, and you are sufficiently qualified to study.
- Students will receive an induction booklet containing all the details of the 6th Form.
- Students are able to make subject changes up until Friday 15th September 2023. This is feasible following a discussion with Head of 6th Form and if there is space on courses, and you meet the entry criteria.
In year applications
We can support students applying to our 6th Form with a late application either
- After the deadline has passed, up until the end of the academic school year. However, this may mean our option blocks are not generated considering your chosen subject combination.
- In the first few weeks of September. This will be subject to spaces on chosen subjects and after obtaining a school reference.
We are, however, unable to take any admissions past 22nd September 2023.
In extreme cases, we will consider students repeating Year 12. This is subjects to space on courses, and you meet the entry criteria. However, we are unable to accommodate students wishing to start courses in Year 13. We are also unable to facilitate students over the age of 18.